The people of Nelebek live in fear of persecution from the evil Morlet, who reigns with a dark and destructive magic. The kingdom’s only hope lies with the Order of the Krigers—twelve warriors with mysterious powers linked to magical weapons.
For over a century, Morlet has been annihilating the Order, picking them off one by one. Eleven Krigers have been hunted down, tortured, and imprisoned in his dungeon. Now, only one remains.
Sixteen-year-old Kaia survives by keeping her head down and minding her own business. But when she finds herself in the middle of a public execution where the mysterious Morlet is in attendance, an odd compulsion she can’t resist comes over her.
Kaia looks into Morlet’s eyes.
Soon, an ancient power awakens and Kaia can no more blend into the scenery. Will she heed the call of the Krigers or will Morlet’s dark magic destroy the last of the Order?
Q&A with the Author
1) Can you tell us a bit about your background? I graduated from the University of San Diego with a degree in English. I then went on to USD Law School. After one year, I decided I’d rather be teaching so I went and obtained my teaching credential. I only taught high school English a year before going back into law. That’s about the time I started writing on the side. When I had my second child, I started writing full-time. I’ve published seven books and am under contract for four more!
2) Who are your favorite authors and how have they influenced your writing? My favorite authors include Sarah J. Maas, Maria V. Snyder, and Kristin Cashore. These authors helped me fall in love with fantasy. They taught me that well-developed characters thrown into exciting situations make for the best read.
3) What does a typical day in your life look like? And how does your writing routine fit into your day? After getting my three kids ready and to school, I sit down and write. I usually write from 8:00am to 2:30pm when I go and pick my kids up from school. Once a week I try and meet one of my writing friends at a local coffee house to write. It helps getting out of the house.
4) Which character in your book is your favorite and how much of yourself is reflected in that character? I absolutely love Morlet and no, I am not reflected in him at all (he’s evil!!!!). I had a lot of fun writing a character who appears one way but is in face another. His duality is what fascinates me.
5) Which scenes in your book did you have the most fun writing? I had the most fun writing the brothel scene. I still get a kick out of reading that scene between Anders and Kaia. I also enjoyed writing the scenes where the two of them spar together.
6) What do you hope for your readers to take away after reading your book? Each person has the choice how to live his or her life. We may not like our choices, but we do have the power to decide how we go forward and carry on. Also, no one can ever be entirely good or evil. We are all a mixture of both. Life is complicated and messy. But that’s what makes it fun.
About the Author
Jennifer Anne Davis is the award-winning author of the bestselling TRUE REIGN series. After graduating from the University of San Diego with a degree in English and a teaching credential, she married her high school sweetheart. Jennifer is currently a full-time writer and mother of three highly energetic children. Her days are spent living in imaginary worlds and fueling her own kids’ creativity.
Enter to win 1 of 5 copies of RISE by Jennifer Anne Davis.