by Carol Riggs
Publisher: Clean Reads
Publication Date: July 7th 2016
Genre: YA Fantasy
At seventeen, Adeelah Naji is transformed into a genie and imprisoned in a bottle. For a thousand years, she fulfills the wishes of greedy masters—building their palaces, lining their pockets with gold, and granting them every earthly pleasure. All that sustains her is the hope of finding Karim, the boy she fell in love with as a human. When at last she finds a note from her beloved, she confirms he has access to the elixir of life and that he still searches for her.
But someone else also hunts her. Faruq—the man who plots to use her powers to murder and seize the life forces of others—is just one step behind her. With the help of a kind master named Nathan, Adeelah continues to search for Karim while trying to evade Faruq. To complicate matters, she begins to experience growing fatigue and pain after conjuring, and finds herself struggling against an undeniable attraction to Nathan.
As Faruq closes in, Adeelah must decide just how much she’ll risk to protect Nathan and be with Karim forever. How much power does she really have to change her future, and what is she willing to sacrifice for an eternity of love? If she makes the wrong choice, the deaths of many will be on her hands.
A disturbance scrapes the edge of my awareness.
I stop twisting the rings on my fingers and concentrate on the intrusion rather than my new master who sits in front of me. Five humans have reached this shabby Arabian hotel, clustering like scorpions in the street far below our room. A niggling sense of them rises up in my mind.
They make their way closer, feet scraping on pavement, their eager breaths rapid and shallow. I get the impression it’s me they want.
While that’s no surprise, the approach somehow disturbs me more than it should, plagues me like a dense thundercloud under my skull. Why is that? The harm is already done. After a century of seclusion in my former master’s crypt, I’m in servitude again. It doesn’t matter if someone challenges my current master for possession of my bottle. One self-centered human master is just as unappealing as the next.
“This is excellent food, genie girl,” my master Bello says, licking mango chutney from his fingertips, ignoring the drips plopping onto the saggy mattress. He’s quite young as masters go. My guess is about eight years older than the seventeen I appear to be, the age I became immortalized.
I frown at his big ears and smacking lips, not caring a half-spittle that I’ve impressed him.
Q&A with the Author
- Your novel in 5 words? Genie looking for lost love.
- Twitter or Facebook? Twitter
- Favorite TV show? Fringe…or wait, maybe Dollhouse…or Firefly…
- Sweet or salty? Salty (hand me my chips!)
- Favorite superhero? Batman, man
- Coke or Pepsi? Ugh, neither. I don’t like the bubbles!
- Favorite movie? Star Wars
- Song that’s stuck in your head right now? “Honeybee” by Steam Powered Giraffe
- What are you afraid of? Swimming when my feet can’t touch bottom
- Favorite movie-to-book adaptation? Harry Potter
- Favorite book? Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
- Favorite YA author? Maggie Stiefvater (especially Lament, Ballad)
- Superpower of choice? Flying, which I do in my dreams to escape danger
- Most unique hobby? I collect dragons
- Mountains or the beach? The beach
- Favorite food? Pizza!
- Favorite color? Blue-green
- Drafting or revising? drafting (more creative), but revising is nicely challenging
- How are you weird/different from others? I don’t own a smart phone!
- Secret talent: I know shorthand—it’s handy for note-taking at writer conferences
About the Author
Carol Riggs is an author of fiction for young adults (and adults!) who lives in the beautiful green state of Oregon, USA. Her debut novel, The Body Institute, released Sept 2015 from Entangled Teen, exploring body image and identity. Her fantasy YA, Bottled, will release from Clean Reads on July 7, 2016, and her sci-fi YA, Safe Zone, will release from Entangled Teen in October 2016. She enjoys reading, drawing and painting, writing conferences, walking with her husband, and enjoying music and dance of all kinds. You will usually find her in her writing cave, surrounded by her dragon collection and the characters in her head.